Friday 6 June 2008

San Antonio

Before I sign off on Laredo here is one of the gun stores...
And here is a vacant lot full of strange garden ornaments...
Made the drive from Laredo to San Antonio on Wednesday... Pulled over by the Border Patrol and they checked me for illegal immigrants... It's only about a 150 mile journey but the temperature dropped by 15 degrees.
I was tempted to San Antonio by the BBC's coverage of the South by South-West Festival, which happens each March, and I'm beginning to think that it might have been as wise as going to Cannes at Christmas because you love films. Not that it is an unattractive place, quite the reverse, the Riverwalk is a haven of peace in the middle of the city
it's just that the live music available seems unspectacular... Having said that I have a 24-hour Mexican Restaurant across the road (for those irresistible 4 AM Burrito urges) the customers are all Mexican; on my first night I had a drink and a snack there and was ambushed by the sweetest Mariachi band, a source of some amusement to the other customers as I was a solo Gringo, but the harmonies brought tears to my eyes... Which made me seem even more the Loco Gringo.

Last night was Sam's Burger Joint

http://www.samsburgerjoint.com/

for their Blues Jam, OK but as in Clarksdale it was enthusiastic white guys rather than anything authentic.

No comments: