Saturday 28 June 2008

Big Girl's Blouse...


... Monument Valley, sunrise, 28/6/2008.

The hotel I am staying at is half an hour's drive from Monument Valley. I set off at 5.30AM and when I first saw these famous lumps of rock rising up from the horizon I began to sob. I'm not sure why, (here it is only fair to warn you that anyone who feels uncomfortable with a 50-year-old's musings on his response to a geographical feature should just look at the photographs in the right hand column under the heading "Monument Valley") I think it is a combination of things; entering Monument Valley is a bit like going to New York for the first time, it is such a famous movie landscape that it feels as if you have been there before, like coming home in some strange way; it is also a landscape impressed upon me in childhood, even infanthood, and seeing it I felt the years fall away... But maybe it is just that this place is unimaginably beautiful, unforgiving but that doesn't interfere with the splendour. The tears were, as is usual with me, tears of joy and my favourite photograph of the trip so far is this one below, my faithful boots covered in the dust of Monument Valley.

No comments: