Thursday 15 May 2008

Keeping up with the Jones

Some background... I arrived at Country Music fairly late, and by that I don't mean the stadium performers who all seem to be called Garth (or "The Anti-Hank" as Kinky Friedman has it), but the ones walking the original path with art and feeling. The chief among these was introduced to me by my friend Ian and is the ex-husband of Tammy Wynette, the man Frank Sinatra called the "best white male singer", George "The Possum" Jones.

http://www.georgejones.com/bio/index.htm

This morning I am doing my washing in the Laundry Room and checking the leaflets as to what I might fancy seeing round here and my eye falls on one for the Ryman Auditorium

http://www.ryman.com/

and George Jones is playing on Sunday, I called the number, I'm going to be in the sixth row. Unbelievable, either I've been living right or I have some bad luck coming to even things out... On the other hand it is worth remembering that Jones' alcoholic past earned him an alternative nickname to "The Possum", George "No Show" Jones, so we will see.

No comments: